This article discusses the profile fields feature and how it helps you manage your users and interpret your data.
Profile fields are a feature of all workspaces that can be enabled from the user settings by an admin user. It allows you to 'categorize' users when they first enter the workspace. This is especially useful later when you want to understand or interpret how a certain sub-section of your workspace participants have responded to various widgets.
Profile fields are completely customizable to suit your needs and context.
If you add a new profile field at any point, the user will be prompted to respond the next time they refresh their page or move to another one. If you make the field mandatory, the users cannot continue before answering.
To enable the feature, go to the menu > User management > Edit profile fields and organization
You will then see the following and have the option to add new profile fields.
There are three types of profile fields available. Text, Multiple choice and Organization.
- Here you can define your question. This option is best suited for open ended questions where participants have to come up with their own answer. You can write further instructions and decide the placeholder text for the answering field.
- These options allow you to decide whether this information will be available for all to see (public), between the participant and administrators (private) or only for admin users.
- You can make answering this question mandatory for users or leave it voluntary
- You can define the question using the title and instructions
- Press here to add more options for the participants to select from
- Choose the minimum and maximum amount of options that participants have to include in their answer. You can also manage the visibility and choose if the question is mandatory
This option lets you create a drop down menu of different items. Only one can be chosen by the participant.
This is what the user will see as soon as they enter or refresh the workspace:
Users can find and edit their information by going to the menu > My profile
What do profile fields enable you to do?
In a chat widget, it is possible to filter the comments by profile fields. So if you want to find how a certain sub-section of participants responded to your question it is easy to find out. To do this go to the widgets menu in the top right corner (three dots) > filter comments
The people widget can be filtered using profile fields. Showing certain information about workspace participants in the widget.
This is how the information will appear on the widget:
Thank you for reading. If you have any further questions regarding profile fields or their use feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.